Wednesday 26 June 2013

The Fry Chronicles

'The Fry Chronicles' covers Stephen Fry's Cambridge University years where he met the likes of Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson and goes on to describe his first tentative steps into the world of show-business. I have to admit now that I am big fan of Stephen Fry. I watch QI religiously and wrote an essay on his US travels and his book 'Stephen Fry in America' at University. In short, I adore the man. No doubt I was expecting great things and I can honestly say I was not disappointed; it has everything that you could wish for in an autobiography; warmth, humour, sadness and the brilliancy of a life rendered with honesty. 

'Incuriosity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is.' p.87

Also I actually found the book to be unexpectedly inspirational. Reading about over-achievers like Mr Fry always makes me want to get up off my arse and do something with my life. When he describes Cambridge for instance, it made me wish that I had the intelligence and means to go to Oxbridge. I know it's only a place and I'm getting a perfectly good degree in Winchester but...oh, to feel a part of all that history! To walk the same halls as Wilde and Forster and Holtby and too many other artists and writers to name. It feels as if it really must be something. I loved reading about his student life the most I think, it reminded me to enjoy my own student days whilst I have the chance. I only have one year left, and I want to squeeze every last ounce of happiness out but the real world comes for me. It is truly a marvelous book, and the vocabulary is breathtaking so read it with a dictionary close at hand... In short, I adored this book because it is probably the closest I will ever get to sitting down and having a good 'ol chinwag with Stephen Fry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment